Monday 11 March 2013

The best Fly Casting DVD




When I took up fly fishing over 40 years ago my biggest mistake was not to have a formal lesson or two.  So when my friends asked me to take them fishing and to teach them I decided I had better have some lessons.  The net result was that I had to unlearn a lot of bad habits!  Later I was introduced (by the Game Angling Instructors Association) to a DVD called the “Dynamics of Fly Casting”.  This DVD features Joan Wulff who is known around the world as a superb fly caster, fisher and teacher.  This DVD is a joy to watch.  It starts with a bio on Joan and a bit of fantasy fly fishing history then it covers all the basics of casting, carefully explained and demonstrated.  Then it moves on to the more advanced techniques.  The best bit for me is where Joan teaches “Double Hauling”.  I had always found that hard to teach but using Joan’s technique now I can teach it in a few minutes.
Joan has a very positive way of teaching and she ends each lesson with an encouraging statement.  I recommend this DVD to anyone who wants to improve their casting.  As Joan says “If you don’t know where the fish lie, but can cast to cover the water with finesse, you are likely to catch fish.  If you know where they lie but can neither reach them nor present the fly naturally you are not even in the game.”
I just checked and you can get the DVD on Amazon.  Believe me it is brilliant and I am not getting any commission!
 
Joan with her husband Lee Wulff another fishing legend

1 comment:

  1. My husband watches this DVD a lot, usually when he should be doing the dishes! It is rather good though and his casting has improved (so he says. Susan Fisher-wife

    ReplyDelete