Wednesday 27 August 2014

Reading and Laughing!

It has to be a really funny book to make me laugh out loud!  I have noticed that laughing out loud when reading in a public place attracts raised eyebrows.  Laughing out loud in a private place can result in an interesting outcome.  I remember reading in bed next to my wife, who was also engrossed in a book, when I started to shake with laughter.  When the rocking caused her to lose her place she looked up and sounding a bit like a librarian scolding a noisy teenager, asked me what it was that was so funny. I was reading John Steinbeck's novel "Sweet Thursday" and so I briefly outlined the story and then read her the section where Hazel (so called because he was nuts) breaks into Doc's (the marine biologist) house whilst Doc is asleep and using a baseball bat breaks Doc's arm.  Why that is hysterically funny will only be revealed if you read the book!
 
Whilst on the subject of novels and books, and recognizing I have a big following on the west side of the Atlantic, I would like to mention another excellent American author, Bill Bryson.  Bryson has a huge following in the UK where his books are always best sellers and have me (and Rosalind) laughing our socks off!
 
The introduction to him on Wiki reads:-
 
William McGuire "Bill" Bryson, OBE, FRS (/ˈbrsən/; born December 8, 1951) is a best-selling American author of humorous books on travel, as well as books on the English language and science. Born in the United States, he was a resident of Britain for most of his adult life before returning to the U.S. in 1995. In 2003 Bryson moved back to Britain, living in the old rectory of Wramplingham, Norfolk, and served as chancellor of Durham University from 2005 through 2011.
Bryson shot to prominence in the United Kingdom with the publication of Notes from a Small Island (1995), an exploration of Britain, and its accompanying television series. He received widespread recognition again with the publication of A Short History of Nearly Everything (2003), a book widely acclaimed for its accessible communication of science.

Bryson has written the following books (those in red I have read and can recommend):

Travel

Language

Science

  • A Short History of Nearly Everything (2003)
  • A Really Short History of Nearly Everything (2008) (Children's version of 2003 book)
  • On the Shoulders of Giants (editor, 2009)
  • Seeing Further: The Story of Science, Discovery and the Genius of the Royal Society (editor, 2010)

Biography

History

Memoir

I suggest you start with The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, I stirred up a departure lounge of people reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment