Sunday 7 July 2013

Dry Fly fishing on the Snoqualmie

My American pal, Brandon and his dad Scott picked me up at 6 am.  The plan was to fly fish the Snoqualmie for trout.  I knew the locations where there was good access to the river so I shared my knowledge with them.  Sadly the day started out cool and overcast as you can see from this picture of Mount Si.

Scott was pretty new to fly fishing and Brandon hadn't fished since moving to WA but both soon managed to be casting effectively.  The trout did not appear until halfway through the morning when the sun broke through.

As soon as the sun came out I drifted a sedge down a seam and "hey presto" it got hit.  I had several more "hits" before I hooked up and then I had fish in quick succession.  Anxious that Scott should also have some success I moved him into the location and watched him perform. He did not disappoint!

Scott and I only caught little guys and it was Brandon who caught the bigger fish.

We then moved downstream and I fished some "structure" looking for something bigger!

Scott decided to test out my spare waders (I had warned him that they leaked).  He proved it.

A lovely half day in beautiful surroundings and with excellent company.

 
If I had been downstream fly fishing on my home chalk streams in the UK and was caught I would probably have been sent to prison (or at least chucked out of the club)! I can see why as it is very effective.

1 comment:

  1. If you are looking for a new fly fishing destination to try out then you must look into fly fishing in alaska.

    South East Alaska Fishing Lodges

    ReplyDelete