Tuesday 18 June 2013

Fly Fishing Plans: The Sky and then the Salt for Coastal Cutthroat Trout

Since this blog is meant to be primarily about fly fishing, you, my friends from the 52 countries that look at the posts, will be wondering when I am going to report some serious fly fishing activity!  Well, I have been doing some extra curricular activities, the main one being a redecoration of one of the largest rooms in my son's house here in Redmond, WA, USA.
It is the first time in my life that I have had to use scaffolding to reach a ceiling!
I let my wife, Rosalind, do the tricky bits!
 
Fortunately, my local pal (buddy) Lonnie has invited me to fish the Skykomish tomorrow afternoon. Then having had a chat in the Orvis shop in Bellevue with manager Reggie Harris I have booked a B & B near Gig Harbor the next night so I can fish the salt for sea run cutthroat trout (or coastal cutthroat trout as the renowned expert Les Johnson calls them) in three recommended locations. So watch this space! Having said that my experience of trying to find the access to some of these fishing locations can be challenging (to put it mildly).  This evening I spent a good half hour (actually a bad half hour) driving round Beaver Lake, Sammamish looking for the boat ramp.  The problem is that everyone and their aunt have built houses on the edge of the lake and so you can only get access to the water from the small adjacent park and the boat ramp.  I still haven't found the boat ramp but I did see it across the lake from the park.  I asked a young man bait fishing if he could give me directions to the ramp and it turned out he was from Oxford in the UK!  I also saw swimmers in wet suits in with the trout and large mouth bass.  I would like to fish Beaver Lake from my float tube as I have never caught a fresh water bass but the thought of catching a swimmer instead of a bass is a bit daunting.  Swimmers are far too large for my landing net!  I expect it has to be "catch and release"!  Anyway watch this blog for "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth"!

1 comment: